Do you find getting up in the morning so difficult that it's painful? This might be called laziness, but Dr. Kleitman has a new explanation. He has proved that everyone has a daily energy cycle.
During the hours when you labor through your work you may say that you are "hot". That's true. The time of day when you feel most energetic is when your cycle of body temperature is at its peak. For some people the peak comes in the afternoon or evening. No one has discovered why this is so, but it leads to such familiar monologues as：Get up, John! You'll be late for work again! The possible explanation to the trouble is that Johnis at his temperature and energy peak in the evening. Much family quarrelling ends when husbands and wives realize what these energy cycles mean, and which cycle each member of the family has.
You can't change your energy cycle? But you can learn to make your life fit it better. Habit can help, Dr.Cleitman believes. Maybe you are sleepy in the evening but feel you must stay up late any way. Counteract your cycle to some extent by habitually staying up later than you want to. If your energy is low in the morning but you have an important job to do early in the day rise before your usual hour. This won't change your cycle, but you will get up steam and work better at your low point.
Get off to a slow start which saves your energy. Get up with a leisurely yawn and stretch. Sit on the edge of the bed a minute before putting your feet on the floor. Avoid the troublesome search for clean clothes by laying them out the night before. Whenever possible, do routine work in the afternoon and save tasks requiring more energy or concentration for your sharper hours.
1. If a person finds getting up early a problem, what is the most possible reason?
2. What is the reason leading to family quarrel?
3. What should one do if he wants to work more efficiently at his low point in the morning?
4. Why should you rise with a yawn and stretch?
5. What is the main idea of the passage?
1. He is at his peak in the afternoon or evening. 根据文章第二段的叙述, 任何人每天都有一个体温周期。如果你感到精力最充沛时, 就表示你的体温处于周期的高峰。有些人的高峰在上午, 有些人的在下午, 早上难于起床的人, 很可能他的周期高峰在下午。本段倒数第二句就是本题的答案。
2. unawareness of energy cycles. 第二段最后一句说, 如果夫妻双方弄清楚了能量周期的道理, 吵架也就结束了。所以吵架的原因也就是不懂得人的能量循环周期。
3. He should get up earlier than usual. 文章第三段倒数第二句说, 假如你上午的能量周期处于低谷, 而你在上午又有一件紧要的工作要做, 那你就应该比平常早起床。这就是本题的答案。
4. It will help keep my energy for the day's work. 文章第四段一、二句说, 动作慢一些起床, 可以节省体能, 起床时打打呵欠, 伸展肢体。这些都可以使你保持精力, 投入工作.
5. Man's energy cycle and himself-adjustment. 全文的大意是说, 人人都有一个能量代谢周期, 其周期有高峰和低谷, 高峰期精力充沛, 低谷期精力减弱。但人们可以进行自我调节, 变低谷为高峰, 使其更好地投入工作。